Thursday, June 6, 2013

Mumford & Sons in Taos! (part 1)

courtesy mumford & sons website

What an exciting day for our tiny town of Taos! The biggest musical event ever held here started this afternoon.  Mumford and Sons is playing as part of their “Summer Stampede Tour.”  8000 people will attend and only 600 are from Taos County. That means 7400 tourists, plus the usual couple thousand for a summer weekend! Taos' population is only 5200 so we could have triple the usual number of people.  The town has been planning for this unexpected event (we were just added to the tour in April)  for months.  The stage alone is the largest ever in Northern New Mexico.

mumford & sons stage (photo taos solar music festival)
So far, so good.  The town planned a festival for this afternoon consisting of food booths, crafts, cold water, a beer garden (thank you Taos Mesa Brewing), and tourist necessities such as hats, sunscreen and information.  We just returned home from wandering and loved seeing the town prepped for the event.  Flowers planted, weeds pulled, "Welcome to Taos" signs, and, best of all, bands playing outdoors all over town.  My favorite story which reflects the cool aspect of living in a small town; there are people all over Taos with handmade badges which say " Hello, I am from Taos. Can I help you with anything or answer any questions?" How cool is that for all the Mumford tourists? 

                                                                  "I Will Wait" live

Happily I am one of the local 600 attending the concert!  I cannot wait.  The concert starts at 7:00 pm with two opening acts, Michael Kiwanuka and Mystery Jets.  I will post again tomorrow with a recap of the actual event and some thoughts regarding Taos' reaction to such a huge event.  OK...off to Kit Carson Park for Mumford & Sons.

my best,
diane
June 6, 2013

follow me on facebook

please visit my other blogs
napa farmhouse 1885
red or green?


We now have a twitter account @dianeintaos. Please follow and I will follow back! Would love to get to know you on Facebook, Twitter and through your comments on this blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment